Henrik S. Nielsen
The following information is intended to give a general impression of my experience in the fields of dimensional metrology, geometrical dimensioning and tolerancing and quality systems for calibration laboratories.
I have been working in these fields since I received my masters degree in 1984. I finished my Ph. D. in 1987 (diploma dated 1988) and then worked as a metrology consultant until 1991.
In 1991 I moved to the US. I worked for Cummins Engine Co. as Technical Manager - Corporate Standards from 1991 to 1998.
I have worked as an independent consultant since 1998.
Here is a downloadable version of my resume.
Education and Work History:
- 2004 - present
- Partner in Institute for Geometrical Product Specifications.
- 2001 - present
- President of HN Proficiency Testing, Inc. Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- 1998 - present
- President of HN Metrology Consulting, Inc. Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
- Cummins Engine Co. Columbus, Indiana, USA Technical Manager - Corporate Standards
- Owned and operated Strøbæk Software, a software development company
- Institute for Product Development, Lyngby, Denmark. Metrology Consultant
- Ph.D. from the Technical University of Denmark on a thesis on Digital Measurement of Surfaces
- M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University of Denmark
Major work assignments:
- Wrote “The ISO Geometrical Product Specification Handbook”. Published in 2012 by ISO - the International Organization for Standardization and Danish Standards.
- Wrote “GPS Bogen” (The GPS Book) and “GPS hæftet” (The GPS Booklet) to be used as textbooks on Geometrical Product Specifications in Danish trade schools. Published in 2010 by Danish Standards and the Danish Trade Schools’ Publishing House.
- 2009 - present:
- Provided training on Geometrical Product Specifications both publicly through Danish Standards and in-house for individual companies.
- 2004 - 2005:
- Wrote and published the “GPS Pocketbook”, which has sold over 14,000 copies in five languages with Dr. Per Bennich.
- Founded Institute for Geometrical Product Specifications as a joint venture with Dr. Per Bennich.
- Obtained A2LA accreditation for HN Proficiency Testing, Inc. to ILAC Guide 13.
- Founded HN Proficiency Testing, Inc. A company providing proficiency testing for accredited laboratories. Serves as technical advisor for dimensional measurements.
- 2000 - 2002
- Provided training on Laboratory Accreditation to ISO Guide 25 and/or ISO/IEC 17025 for over 250 people.
- 1999 - 2009
- A2LA Lead Calibration Assessor
- 1999 - present
- Developed Model Quality System for calibration laboratory compliance with ISO Guide 25 or ISO 17025. Implemented at about 20 calibration and testing laboratories, several of which successfully pursued accreditation.
- 1999 - present
- Provided training on Measuring Uncertainty for over 1200 people.
- 1999 - 2001
- Provided training on Roughness & Roundness for over 200 people.
- Founded HN Metrology Consulting, Inc.
- Established Cummins Corporate Standards Laboratory as the first DKD accredited dimensional laboratory in the US.
- 1995 - 1998:
- Developed and deployed a training package complementing the "Cummins Measurement Systems Handbook."
- 1993 - 1995:
- Co-wrote the "Cummins Measurement Systems Handbook", redefining how Cummins assesses measuring systems.
- 1993 - 1998:
- Co-organized the annual Cummins Corporate Metrology Council meetings and made several presentations at each council.
- 1992 - 1997:
- Supported the Cummins UK plants as a metrology consultant, providing training, assisting with procurement, performing audits and guiding the UK Metrology Council.
- 1991 - 1996:
- Developed and executed a 5 year plan to turn the Cummins Corporate Standards Laboratory into a modern, well-equipped and well-documented standards laboratory.
- Established the Danish National Laboratory for surface finish.
- 1990 - 1991:
- Wrote parts of a payroll data base program for IBM.
- 1987 - 1990:
- Managed a Nordic collaboration project on surface finish, wrote a comprehensive surface finish software package.
International Organization for Standardization (ISO):
- 2008 -
- Chairman ISO TC 213 “Dimensional and geometrical product specifications and verification"
- 2006 -
- Expert Delegate ISO CASCO WG 28 “Proficiency Testing"
- 1996 -
- Expert Delegate ISO TC 213 “Dimensional and geometrical product specifications and verification” and its working groups and advisory groups
- 1998 - 2000
- Expert Delegate ISO/IEC JTAG 4 “Metrology” (closed)
- 1993 - 1996
- Expert Delegate ISO /TC 3-10-57/Joint Harmonization Group and its task groups. (converted into TC 213)
- 1993 - 1996
- Expert Delegate TC 3/WG 10 “CMMs” (converted into TC 213)
- 1988 - 1996
- Expert Delegate TC 57 “Surface Texture” and its subcommittees and working groups. (converted into TC 213)
2. Nielsen, H.S.: Some Limitations in Uncertainty Evaluation. Proceedings of the 2006 Measurement Science Conference, update of 2003 paper of the same title.
5. Nielsen, H.S.: New Concepts in Specifications, Operators and Uncertainties and Their Impact on Measurement and Instrumentation. Keynote Address, Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments. 2005
9. Nielsen, H.S.: Determining Consensus Values in Interlaboratory Comparisons and Proficiency Testing. Winner of “Best Paper on Theoretical Metrology” - Proceedings of the 2003 NCSL-I Workshop and Symposium.
23. Nielsen, H. S.: Uncertainty and Dimensional Tolerances. Quality. May 1992, 25
24. Strøbæk Nielsen, H.: The effects of calibration in surface roughness measurement. Measurement - Journal of the International Measurement Confederation. 1991, 9 (3), 111
25. Strøbæk Nielsen, H.: Calibration of Surface Roughness Instruments. Paper presented at the 3rd International IMEKO-Symposium: Dimensional Metrology in Production and Quality Control, Aachen, Federal Republic of Germany. September 1989.
26. Strøbæk Nielsen, H.: New approaches to surface roughness evaluation of special surfaces. Precision Engineering. 1988, 10 (4), 209
27. De Chiffre, L. ; Strøbæk Nielsen, H.: A digital system for surface roughness analysis of plane and cylindrical parts. Precision Engineering. 1987, 9 (2), 59